When I got home really late from work the other night and was starving, I had to throw something together quickly. With a few unopened packages of orzo and some cans of tomato soup on the shelves, I whipped up this tomato orzo in under 20 minutes! I personally used the small cans of Campbell’s tomato soup but I recommend using a low-sodium kind, as this recipe is pretty healthy if you’re using a good soup! It’s great to make in big batches as it stays well in containers and heats back up, without changing the taste or texture. This meal is vegan (obviously,) easy, yummy, and filling! I hope you enjoy it!
20 Minute Tomato Basil Orzo
– 1 cup orzo
– 1 10 oz can of tomato soup
– 10 oz of non-dairy milk
-1 clove of fresh minced garlic
-1 tbsp fresh chopped basil or 2 tbsp dried basil
-pinch of pepper
-2 slices bread
-1 tbsp olive oil
1. Cook orzo according to package directions
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
3. When the orzo is finished cooking and drained, place it back into the pot and add the can of tomato soup. Then fill the can with the milk and add it to the pot.
4. In the meantime, cube up your pieces of bread and place them on a baking sheet.
5. With the stove heat on low, stir in the soup and milk with the orzo until completely blended and add the garlic, basil, and pepper.
6. Once the oven is preheated, add your cubed bread and toast until crispy, about 8-10 minutes. During this time, continue to stir your orzo to marinate the flavors.
11. Serve the orzo with your new croutons on top, and drizzle them lightly with olive oil.